Thursday, January 13, 2011

vicar in a tutu


One of the best things about certain fast food chains is the presence of a Value Menu. I like to judge my fast food choices based on two main things: price and quality. So I love fast food chains like Chick-fil-A, because the quality of their food is at an 8 or 9 for me. But they don't have a value menu, which fills my soul with sadness.

The most popular Value Menus include: Taco Bell, McDonald's, KFC, Sonic, Wendy's

Sonic is the clear winner [at least for me] out of the above. Their food isn't as artery-clogging as that of Taco Bell and McDonald's, and there's something magical about Happy Hour [it's from 2-4 pm everyday, for those of you that are new to the idea of Sonic]. A 50 cent Watermelon slush paired with a Jr. Fritos Chili Wrap and a small tots = $2.50, which is a steal. Once I start driving on my own - which is Saturday, y'all! - I plan on taking advantage of Happy Hour drinks as often as possible. Lovely.

But it's not as if Chick-fil-A needs a Value Menu. The reason most restaurants have Value Menus is obviously because their food isn't quite at the same level as other fast food chains, and Chick-fil-A's food is relatively healthy, absolutely delicious, and not ridiculously expensive.

If Chick-fil-A starts promoting a value menu, one of two things has happened: either the economy has really gone to shit, or the owners are starting to get a bit greedy.

That was a pretty pointless thing to talk about, but I wanted to talk about it. Now that that's out of the way, I'll talk about something that is actually meaningful - something you all want to read.


The above is a photograph of the ever-so-fabulous John Cameron Mitchell in the motion picture version of the musical, "Hedwig and the Angry Inch". If you don't know Hedwig, you should pull up your Netflix queue right now and put it above Carnivale. It'll arrive within a few days, and you will experience the true magic.

Hedwig is a MTF transvestite, but her sex change operation got botched. Basically, Hedwig is touring the country with her band, following around her ex-boyfriend, Tommy Gnosis. It's a beautiful movie, really. I'd love to see the stage version of it, to see how it compares.

Anyway, the real reason behind my mentioning this truly amazing film/musical is the song "The Origin of Love". In the song, it tells the story of how soul mates came to exist.

And there were three sexes then,
One that looked like two men glued up back to back called the children of the sun.
And similar in shape and girth were the children of the earth.
They looked like two girls rolled up in one.
And the children of the moon were like a fork shoved on a spoon.
They were part sun, part earth, part daughter, part son.

I've heard the whole, "In ancient history, people once had four arms, four legs and two heads, we were separated because Zeus got mad and we were condemned to spend the rest of our lives searching for our soul mates." However, the new view of it in this song made me extremely happy, because I hadn't heard a version that talked about soul mates of the same sex. Even if the story is just a myth, it's comforting to me.

So, yeah, Hedwig is great. Netflix. Now.


Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment